Thursday, October 04, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

Well, my friend Vicki has "tagged" me, and sent me a list of rules to follow:

Here are the rules:

• Players offer eight random habits/facts about themselves.

• If you're tagged, write your own blog about your eight things and post these rules.

• At the end of your blog post, choose someone to tag (supposed to be eight but however many you can do is fine, no tag police will come get you) - and list their names.

OK, here goes:

1) I went straight from kindergarten to second grade, and thus never took handwriting classes. As a result my scrawl is indecipherable, even to myself.

2) My kindergarten teacher washed my mouth out with soap. Yes, really! I had read all the Dick and Jane books through the third-grade level, and wanted her to give me the fourth-grade ones. She refused. I accused her of blighting my intellectual development, and she marched me off to the bathroom.

3) The soap actually tasted pretty good - it was a perfumed variety. So I asked my teacher if I could have another bite, and she hit the ceiling. I was sent to the headmaster's office to await my mother, who had been ordered to take me home for the day.

4) I have not been subjected to any academic discipline since that day. Whether I had learned my lesson (What lesson? Stop reading?!) or the teacher had learned hers, we finished the year out in an uneasy truce, and the next year my family had moved from CT to MA and I was in a new school.

5) My favorite colonial-era flag is the one that says, "Don't tread on me." Guess I learned all I really needed to know in kindergarten, just like the book says.

6) I started Latin at age 12. The translation for the colonial flag, I learned, is "Nemo me impune laecessit."

7) I also started French that same year. My ancestor William the Conqueror brought Anglo-Norman French over to England in 1066 and all that; the motto of the British royal family is "Dieu et mon droit." Works for me.

8) It's time for me to tag someone else, which of course is a great cause of Angst in the scribal breast (I started German at age 17 when I was living in Switzerland). What if the people I pick (on) are too busy, or don't get the message, or can't think of eight things to say? Will the tag police round us all up and put us in jail? Will Vicki come and bail us out? It's enough to give a person the vapors...

Anyhoo, I hereby tag the AuthorBabe and Maven Erica. Happy Thursday Thirteen!

4 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

I love your meme!! How many languages do you speak? I now know where to go when I need help with a couple of them anyway. :)

And yes, I'd either be there to bail you guys out or sit with you saying. "That was fun."

October 04, 2007 4:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Ridley said...

Tagged! Response is up today...

E <-- who has no favorite colonial era flag b/c she wouldn't know one if it bit her. (Not that flags bite.)

October 05, 2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger Bill Clark said...

I'd either be there to bail you guys out or sit with you saying. "That was fun."

Vicki, you slay me!

October 05, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Bill Clark said...

(Not that flags bite.)

Don't be so sure! This particular flag, designed by Christopher Gadsden, features a large and angry rattlesnake. Check it out at:

www.foundingfathers.info/stories/gadsden.html

(Sorry - I still haven't learned how to put hot links into comments, even though I know you've told me twice...somehow it has seemed easier thus far just to let people copy and paste - well, easier for me, anyhow!)

*Bill hangs his head in shame at being such a slow learner*

October 05, 2007 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home