Saturday, April 25, 2009

Is There Going To Be Anyone At All Left?

From the Norwalk Advocate, via Greenwich Roundup:

Hearst Corp. cut 44 jobs at its Connecticut newspapers on Friday and plans to eliminate another 80 positions within three months as part of a consolidation and cost-cutting effort.

At this rate, new editor David McCumber won't have anyone left to supervise at the Local Rag, aka Yellowwich Time. Sounds like the practice of making bricks without straw wasn't confined to the ancient Egyptians and their Hewbrew guest workers.

How do you run a newspaper without employees, however illiterate and incompetent? Sounds to your scribe as though the paperless version of the Rag is getting closer by the day....


Blogger Leigh Russell said...

A friend of ours is an editor on The Independent, one of major national newspapers in UK. He told us they've recently 'lost' 30% of their workforce. The remaining 70% are now doing the work of the original 100%. The problem is the availability of news on the internet but, more significantly, the reduction in advertising revenue. The car industry can't afford to advertise as it used to, and property and jobs are also seriously affected. The cost of buying papers has risen sharply. Is the writing on the wall for newspapers? (I can't even contemplate a similar demise of books, not now we're authors, Bill.)

April 25, 2009 6:23 PM  
Blogger Bill Clark said...

Hi, Leigh!

Yes, over here we're thinking that the handwriting *is* on the wall for newspapers - by and large they have been weighed in the balance, and found wanting, at least here in Greenwich.

And some are saying for books, as well. But I think they are mostly the Philistines who can't read.

April 27, 2009 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home